Sunday, October 22, 2006

Turning the Corner



It's amazing the difference one week can make in a child. This week Raegan definitely turned a corner. This was my first week back to work. Maybe it was the structure of our routine that did it. Maybe it was time. Whatever it was we hope it continues.

This week Raegan had an awesome week. Her English is coming along very well. The words that she speaks are coming through clearer every day. She continues to say more and more words in their proper context without being prompted: "more", "thank you", "love you", "big hug", "see ya", etc.

Maybe it's taken us longer to truly "fall in love" with Raegan than it did Mackenzie. I don't know. This week she seems sweeter, less defiant. This week she seems to understand more, less aimless. This week she seems happier, less confused and insecure.

I caught myself going back and forth to the nursery at church just to ensure she was OK. I must have been staring in the two-way mirrored window for longer than I realized. One of the deacons came through and said, "Tina, you were standing here staring in at her when i walked by while ago and you're still standing here."

It took me back to a time when Mackenzie had been with us for few short weeks. She had gone to sleep really easily one night and our rocker time was shorter than it normally was. I caught myself going back and forth into her room to look. I wouldn't admit it, but I missed her. Jeffery asked why I kept going back and forth so many times.

Today, as I thought about the number of times I went back and forth to the nursery at church to check on Raegan I realized I had this urge to say the same thing about Raegan that I said to Jeffery that night in response to Mackenzie - "Dear God I love her!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home